Friday, January 4, 2013

Behold the creation of a peltast movement tray

Foamcore board is cheap and easy* to cut into. Here is a sheet of foamcore with a bunch of 20mm squares cut out -- that is, the top layer and about half the stuffing is cut out with exacto knives. I spaced the peltasts 1/2" because that's how skirmishers function in WFB, the only wargame I've actually played. I've got to play more wargames.
Next time, I'm going to make the square slots a little bigger, because this time it became more difficult to put the peltasts in their holes as i added sand and glue to the board and it became less pliable.

Next came the sand. The last time I used sand, it was to make a bunch of Persians look like they were actually walking through the desert. It was pretty easy to make sand look like sand. This time I was going to use sand to get a textured terrain. Forward.

I painted the mini bases with a mixture of regular Elmer's glue and water and dipped them into a bowl of sand. I applied the same glue-water to the board and sprinkled it with sand. I got sand all over my painting area and had to change the newspaper. Next time I do the sand dipping outside.

Next I gave all those surfaces with a wet brown paint, not a wash but a bit thicker than ink.

The brown was a pleasing earth tone and I almost backed off of drybrushing on top of it. In my artistic endeavors, I have found that sometimes the more features you add to the work, the greater the risk you screw it up. I got over it.

These two pictures show the difference between drybrushing with a light tan and no drybrushing.

Then I started adding grass. I have some beautiful looking fake grass and I have no idea what it is or where it came from, but it is kicking ass. Sometimes I'm using it to cover up places where the paint/sand coverage is, as the Spanish say, anot so good.

 Like this.
More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment