Sunday, January 6, 2013

Peltast trays finished

In my last post, I documented the steps I took to build, texture, and paint the trays of some Greek peltasts. When I left off, I was gluing, tuft by tuft, bits of greenery to the individual figures' bases. I continued to glue grass throughout the weekend (I entertained many guests, so that was slow going), first to the figure bases, then to the tray itself. Of course, every time I handle my toys, I see another place that could use a spot of paint or something, so I'm hesitant to ever say that anything is finished. That being said, I'm ready to show the Internet my movement trays.



 Tall grass is harder to work with than grass that just lies on the ground. I like to take a narrow bundle of (fake) grass and mush a bead of Elmer's glue into it at 1/3 of its length and another at 2/3 of its length. When the glue is completely dry, you can cut at 1/3 length and 2/3 length and get 3 bundles of grass, each held together at one end by a drop of glue.
Anything can always be improved. Each of these trays has one smooth edge from the original cut of the foamcore board, and only after adding paint did I notice that the rough cuts I made myself look much better (more natural, like a formation of earth). Also, as I noted earlier, I should have cut larger indentations into the foam core because these guys fit very snugly into their slots and I'm afraid I'm going to crack off some paint or glue as I push them into and pull them out of their slots. Oh, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a Heaven for?

Here are 7 more peltasts; they aren't the ones on their movement trays so I guess they're my reserves. They have nice bases and shields and so I thought they deserved to have their picture taken as well.

Next time: my top 10 hoplite shields.

No comments:

Post a Comment